CEDAC Attends the Mekong Delta Sub-Area Forum
KAMPONG CHAM: From May 24-25, 2011, I and Mr. Sim Sroy, Chairman of the Farmer Water User Community (FWUC) of Sdau Kaong irrigation scheme in Prey Veng province, participated in the Mekong Delta Sub-Area Forum for Basin Development Program (BDP) Phase II, in Phnom Pros Hotel, Kampong Cham province.
The objective of the forum was to share the results of the recently conducted study
and analysis on the Cambodia Delta Sub-area and future actions moving forwards with relevant stakeholders, including provincial authorities, the BDP coordination unit and BDP Sub-area working group members, representatives from key national and provincial authorities, development partners, NGOs, CBOs, and other stakeholders.
The topics presented and discussed during the forum included:
– The Mekong Basin Development Program
– Sub-area study and progress
– The opportunities and challenges related to water and other resources
including the critical river basin and sub-area
– The development potential and basin development planning
More than 100 participants from throughout Cambodia and the Government Ministries
attended this two-day forum. This forum was organized by Cambodia National
Mekong Committee (CNMC) and was presided over by H.E. Sin Niny, CNMC Permanent
Vice-Chairman of CNMC.
The Sub-area Forum is one form of participatory planning process which provides
platform for diverse stakeholders to:
- dialogue on water resources issues in the sub-areas and its tributaries which are linked to the regional Low Mekong Basin (LMB)
- build social knowledge on the state and analysis of trends and natural resources , key issues and sub-area vision
- build up a participatory mechanism for river basin planning in the LMB.