First General Assembly of Farmer and Water Net (FWN)
Kampong Thmar: On 26-27 May 2011, the first general assembly of FWN was convened at the office of farmer water user community (FWUC) of the Stung Chinit irrigation scheme in Kampong Thmar district, Kampong Thom province. 23 representatives (one female) of 12 FWUCs coming from eight provinces (Kampong Thom, Kampong Cham, Kampong Speu, Prey Veng, Siem Reap, Banteay Meanchey, Preah Sihanouk and Kandal) throughout Cambodia attended the GA. They represented 15,289 families of 23,110 ha of cultivated area.
The objectives of the GA were to:
- review the background and steps towards establishing FWN
- discuss, finalize and approve the statute of the FWN, which was discussed in three separate meetings in 2010 and followed by the consultations with the committee members of each FWUC at local level
- elect the steering committee including the president, vice-president and treasurer of the FWN
- formally establish FWN as a network association of FWUCs
- draft action plan till the end of the year.
33 Participants participated in the GA, including a representative of Ministry of Water Resources and Meteorology, the chief of the Provincial Department of Water Resources and Meteorology (Pdowram), the governor of the district, representatives of GRET and CEDAC and project staff. The official ceremony was presided over by Mr. Cheat Sivutha, Chief of Pdowram, and the Buddhist blessing of the monks.
The GA was co-organized by the Irrigation Service Center and the FWUCs and was supported by AFD and European Union through ASIri project and Food Facility project. It is important to note that, since 2006, the process of mobilizing the FWUCs was technically supported by the water working group of CEDAC with the financial support of IUCN and M-Power. It is the first FWUC network in Cambodia. According to MoWRAM there are more than three hundred FWUCs registered at the Ministry level. There are quite a number of FWUC which are registered at the commune level only.
The results of the GA are as follows:
- A statutes with 39 articles of 9 chapters is approved
- The assessments of all FWUCs were presented, discussed and the level of its performance was identified and agreed by all FWUCs
- The steering committee of FWN is elected. The President is Mr. Yim Buoy, Chairman of Prey Nup Polder User Community (PUC); Vice-President
is Mr. Kong Sok, Chairman of Oh Veng FWUC and Mr. Eam Bun Rong, Chiarman of Stung Chinit FWUC, is elected as Treasurer
- The draft action plan until the end of the year 2011 is agreed, which include meetings of the steering committee, field visit to Prey Nup and one general meeting there, participating in other workshops or training invited by partner organizations and other stakeholders etc.
At the end of the GA one FWUC representative stated that he “is very happy to see the FWN has been set up to serve the interests of all farmer water users and hope that the
network would boost the exchanges between FWUCs and the collaboration with government agencies, donors, NGOs and other stakeholders”. In the afternoon of day 2, all representatives went to visit the 5 February irrigation scheme in Chamkar Leu district, Kampong Cham province, before returning home the next day.
- Posted in: Financial capital ♦ Health ♦ Human Capital ♦ Information ♦ Life experience ♦ Social capital
- Tagged: Asia, Cambodia, Chamkar Leu District, European Union, FWUC, FWUC network, Kampong Cham, Kampong Cham Province, Kampong Speu Province, Kampong Thom Province, Non-governmental organization, Phnom Penh, Prey Veng, Prey Veng Province, Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, Water Users