Sustainable Water Resources Management and Allocation in Cambodia
PHNOM PENH: On 29 July, 2011; a national workshop was organized by Cambodia Development Resources Institute (CDRI) in the Phnom Penh hotel. The topic is “Sustainable Water Resource Management and Allocation in Cambodia. Mr. Khim Sophanna, Senior Program Advisor and Mr. Seng Sophak, ISC Institutional Development Specialist, attended the program.
The main objectives of the workshop are:
- to share experiences and knowledge relevant to water policy between CDRI and other relevant organizations
- to openly discuss our share experiences/analyses and to agree upon concrete actions among key stakeholders regarding lessons learnt and recommendations
- to frame a policy discussion around key relevant questions on water resources management and allocations
- to prioritize and highlight key innovative findings and recommendations and
- to discuss and agree on needs for future research and policy development
Around 150 participants representing Mowram, Pdowram, FWUCs from 5 provinces (Kampong Thom, Kampong Chhnang, Pursat, Preah Sihanouk and Kampong Speu), local authorities, NGOs, Farmer and Water net (FWN), Service Providers, AusAID, JICA, ADB and AFD; participated actively in the presentations and discussions during the workshop. It is the final workshop of the five years Water Resources Management Research Capacity Development Program, WRMMRCDP, 2006-2011, which is supported by AusAID. The project was jointly implemented by CDRI, Royal University of Phnom Penh and University of Sydney.
The workshop activities were:
- Share and discuss findings and recommendations of the WRMRCDP
- Photos and posters exhibition
- Share experiences of other water related initiatives, namely, MOWRAM and Technical Working Group on Agriculture and Water (TWGAW), AFD, ADB, CAVAC, CEDAC and other agencies
- Facilitate panel discussion on key findings, lessons learnt and recommendations
- Identification of future in research and policy development
CEDAC was invited by the organizer to share field experiences concerning water governance issues. Our presentation focused on brief background of CEDAC, its involvements in feasibility studies and evaluation of irrigation schemes (Stung Chinit, Prey Nup, Srey Santhor and Stung Chikreng) and supporting the FWUCs (Stung Chinit, Sdau Kaong, Kok Thnoat, Oh Veng etc), Farmer and Water Net (FWN), activities of CEDAC water working group, collaboration within M-POWER network. Last but not least, the presentation focused also deeply on the Irrigation Service Center (ISC, a joint project with GRET and financed by AFD and EU food facility project, 2009-2011). Mr. Khim Sophanna and Mr. Seng Sophak made a joint presentation and it was very well received. Besides, three representatives from FWN have a chance also to participate in this workshop to present themselves and to build networking.
- Posted in: Financial capital ♦ Human Capital ♦ Information ♦ Life experience ♦ Social capital
- Tagged: Asia, AusAID, Cambodia, CDRI, CEDAC, FWUC network, Irrigation in Cambodia, Non-governmental organization, Phnom Penh Hotel, Policy, Royal University of Phnom Penh, University of Sydney, Water Net, Water resources