FWN organized its Second General Assembly
Kampong Thom: From 17-19 September, 2012; the 2. General Assembly of Farmer and Water Net (FWN) was organized by FWN and the Irrigation Service Center (ISC). FWN is the first national network of FWUCs from eight provinces; namely: Kampong Thom, Kampong Cham, Banteay Mean Chey, Siem Reap, Kampong Speu, Kandal, Prey Veng and Preah Sihanouk. It currently has more than 26,000 members, covers 23,000 ha of irrigated area and was registered in the MOI on December 6, 2011.
Most of the FWN members have collected more than 557 million Riels (or around U$135,000) irrigation service fee in 2012, which will be used for maintenance and operation of the schemes. In 2011, fee’s amount was 550 million KHR.
The objectives of the meeting were to:
- report the progress of each member/Farmer Water User Community (FWUC) since our last meeting;
- report the activities of FWN in 2011 and 2012;
- share the good practices and experiences in FWUCs management;
- learn from the experiences in FWUCs management and irrigation issues from the study tour in France, Australia and other countries;
- review and to reflect on the vision of the network and
- plan its activities for the rest of 2012 and 2013.
23 representatives from the twelve FWUCs spent their time to discuss and share actively to reach the above mentioned objectives. Resource persons during the meeting were Dr. Yang Saing Koma, CEDAC President; Mr. Khim Sophanna FNF Program Manager and ISC Chairman and Mr. Seng Sophak, ISC Executive Director. Several staff of ISC took part to learn from the network and provided technical support to the workshop.
- Training on budget planning and financial management to FWUCs representatives
- Strengthening the network and step by step invite more eligible FWUCs to join
- Reporting to MOWRAM and other stakeholders about its activities and seeking closer cooperation with them
- Creating a website for FWN and the information leaflet
- Creating an own bank account
- Organizing study tours to other irrigation schemes and commercial farms
- Exploring the possibility to sell paddy rice collectively at FWUC level
- Organizing the third General Assembly next year
- Organizing regular meetings of steering committee’s members
- Exploring the possibility to become membership of Asia Farmer Association (AFA)
- Closer cooperation with Farmer and Nature Net (FNN)
- Updating the irrigated areas of each FWUC and its actual members
It is important to note that the first General Assembly was organized in Kampong Thmar on May 26-27, 2011. FWN is thankful to CEDAC and ISC for technical support and the Friedrich Naumann Foundation for Freedom for financial support, which contributes to the success of this assembly.